George W. AHRENS, cabinet-maker; P. O. Crete, was born in Hessen, Germany, Feb. 22, 1836, and is the son of William AHRENS, of Germany, who was a shoemaker by trade. Mr. AHRENS commenced to learn the cabinet-making trade when a young man in Germany, and served an apprenticeship of four years; after learning his trade, he was engaged in working in different parts of Germany, and, in 1858, with his brother John, emigrated to America; landed in New York City; came direct to Chicago; here he started, in a small way, in making chairs; this he followed about one year, then he commenced to have all the custom work he could do, and made a specialty of fine inlaid work, in which he ranks among the first in America, having had some of his work at the Centennial Exposition of 1876, and received a medal and a certificate of award for originality in design of an extension table having a compartment within it for storing the leaves (which was patented, March 9, 1875, by George W. AHRENS); also, for very superior quality of inlaid work. Mr. AHRENS has now one of his fine tables at his store in Crete, which took the first premium at the Centennial Exposition in 1876, and, without doubt, is pronounced as one of the finest pieces of work in America. Mr. AHRENS, in 1865, started in the wholesale business, as AHRENS MADDEN, 151 Randolph St., Chicago, doing a very extensive business, but on account of health he sold out, and, in 1867, moved to Crete, Will Co.; here he has been engaged in the furniture business ever since; Mr. AHRENS is also engaged in the undertaking line; has one of the finest hearses in Will Co., manufactured by himself.
Source: History of Will County, Illinois; Chicago: Wm LeBaron Jr & Co, 186 Dearborn Street, 1878.