Bolingbrook, Sec 4, DuPage Twp
N of Royce Road about 1 mile W of Rt 53 (farm lane)
In 1832 Harry Boardman established the Boardman Cemetery as a community burying ground in DuPage Township. He sold the land in 1846 to Robert Strong, Samuel Whallon, and Isaic Scarret who deeded the cemetery plot on April 22, 1846, to the County of Will. In the early 1970s the deed for Boardman Cemetery was discovered in the recorder's office. In 1972 or 1973, Will County deeded the one acre cemetery plot to DuPage Township. [Source: Bolingbrook Does Too Have a History, compiled by James D Bingle for the Bolingbrook Historical Society]
The first death record in Du Page Township was a Mrs. Cleveland, who had just moved into the settlement and died in 1832, and was buried in the cemetery near Mr. Boardman's - the first burial made in that grave-yard, since the receptacle of many of the pioneers of this part of the country. [Source: The History of Will County, 1878]
Visit the Grundy County website for information about two headstones from this cemetery.