Last Update: Sunday, 22-Mar-2015 20:04:38 EDT
Hanover Twp., Lake Co., IN
Submitted by Karen Rowe
German United Evangelical Zion Church
Zion United Church of Christ
(Evangelical and Reformed)
Dyer, Hanover Twp., Lake Co., IN
Zion United Church of Christ
14804 W. 113th Avenue
Dyer, Indiana 46311
Churchbook Extractions Background and Indexes
Photo Courtesy of Catherine Bruckbauer
The German United Evangelical Zion Church
(Deutsche Vereinigten Evangelisches Zions Kirche) congregation was
organized on August 31, 1859 as a daughter congregation of St. Johns
Lutheran Church of Eagle Lake, Illinois. Their first church, measuring
40 x 30 feet, and which included living quarters for the pastor, was
built at the site of the present church on 113th Avenue, about a half
mile east of the Indiana-Illinois State Line.
Farmer Otto Buehre donated a five acre corner of his farm for the
church property. The families who founded the church lived both in
Crete Township, Will County, Illinois and in Hanover Township, Lake
County, Indiana. The signatures of the original signers of the church
constitution on August 31, 1859 are in many cases faded and difficult
to read. However, lists of the contributors from among the members of
the congregation to the building and maintence of the church building
are given for 1860 to 1863 in the church book and are quite legible.
The names given on these early lists, in alphabetical order, are:
Heinrich Bahlmann, Johann Bahlmann, Friedrich Battermann, Heinrich
Battermann, Heinrich Behrens, Friedrich Braemer, Heinrich Braemer,
Christian Brenker, Friedrich Brenker, Heinrich Buehre, Otto Buehre,
Gottlieb Buerkle, Heinrich Claus, Johann Elting, Rosine Glade, Wilhelm
Grages, Dietrich Haake, Friedrich Hasselbrink, Heinrich Hecht, Heinrich
Heisterberg, Karl Hitzemann, Wilhelm Holton, Friedrich Hue, Katharina
Jung, Friedrich Kahle, Father Klemme, Christian Klemme, Friedrich
Klemme, Heinrich Klemme, Georg Lesemann, Wilhelm Mussmann, Wilhelm
Noehren, Friedrich Oehlerking, Christoph Piepho, Friedrich Ringgenberg,
Christoph Ruessel, Heinrich Schoenbeck, Christoph Seegers, Conrad
Seegers, Heinrich Seehausen, Karl Tegtmeier, Heinrich Thuennemann,
Friedrich Wehrmann, Friedrich Wille, Christoph Zieseniss, Philipp
Zimmermann. Note that womens' names were not included unless they were
|According to a list given in the Zion One Churchbook in the
pastors' own writing, the pastors of the church up to the turn of the
Peter Lehman from Womb (or Warb?), Kanton Bern, in Switzerland, served from 01 September 1859 to 12 July1868.
Jacob Furrer from Reimsmuehler / Reimsmuehler / Reimsmuhler, Kanton Zuerich / Zurich, Switzerland, served from 12 July
1868 to June 1872.
J. Robert Ruegg from Pfoeffikon / Pfoffikon, Kanton Zurich, Switzerland, served from 25 August 1872 to 02 October 1876.
C. August Kitterer from Stuttgart, Kingdom of Wuerttemberg /
Wurttemberg, served from 05 November 1876 to the end of September1884.
Wilhelm Wahl from Ebersberg, district of Welzheim, Wurtemberg, served from 03 November 1881 to 15 April 1884.
Gottfried Emil Daehler from Bern, Switzerland, served from 10 August 1884 to 06 August 1885.
H. Christian Friedrich Schmidt from Schleswich, North Germany, served from 17 October 1885 to 22 October 1899.
Friedrich Grosse, born in Ballenstadt on Harz, Principality of
Anhalt, Germany, "took over the congregation on 02 November 1899 and
worked with them through the Grace of God until 17 November 1907".
The lists which follow were photocopied from the
original church records by Judy Claus Segal of Wheaton, Illinois (Gr.
Gr. Grandaughter of Heinrich and Wilhelmina (Battermann) Claus) or by
Christian Orlov ( born James Ballard, and Gr. Gr. Grandson of Christoph
and Wilhelmine (Seegers) Ohlendorf and Christian and Sophia (Grages)
Klemme) of New York, New York. They, as well as the present writers who
have translated and tabulated the records (Edwin Friedrich is the Gr.
Gr. Grandson of Friedrich and Maria [Knief] Wille and Friedrich and
Dorothea [Ostermeier] Battermann are descended from early members of
All of the entries from 1859 to 1900 in Book One of the church
records were written in German. Before 1876 the Old Style German Script
was mainly used except for names. After 1876 the script is generally
the English style. Fortunately, the handwriting is quite legible
throughout the early records of Book One.
It is of interest to note that a recent pastor of the Zion church,
Reverend David McDonald, has recently published a compilation of the
church records entitled: "So Great a Cloud of Witnesses: The People of
Zion Church, Hanover Township, Lake County, Indiana", Muttonburger
Press, Kreitzburg, Indiana, 1996. This compilation covers the baptism,
confirmation, marriage and burial records of the church from the
beginning to the present, and also includes baptism sponsers and some
family trees of early church members.
Information about ordering a copy of this book, as well as another
book by Rev. McDonald containing the records of Saint John's United
Church of Christ of Beecher, Will County, Illinois, a daughter church
of Zion, may be obtained by writing to: Rev. David McDonald, 6778
Windsor Street, Windsor, WI 53598.
Photos courtesy of Catherine Bruckbauer and Donna Adkin.
1820 - 1896 and wife
Sophie (nee Seehausen)
1826 - 1918
1858 - 1911
1864 - 1908
1862 - 1933
Mary (nee Seegers)
1868 - 1941
1885 - 1886
1835 - 1926 and
Wilhelmine (nee Seegers)
1845 - 1933
1864 - 1939 and
Mathilda (nee Klemme)
1867 - 1927
1858 - 1916 and
Mina (nee Riechers)
1865 - 1951
Will County Coordinator:
© 2007- ILGenWeb Project. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.