Old and New Cities & Townships

Compiled by Ted Cash


1850 Clinton; 1875 divided into Reed and Custer

Late 19th & Early 20th Century Cities, Towns & VillagesAdditional InformationTownship
Alden’s IslandIs now a part of Wilmington, IL; named for James F. and H. O. Alden who came to the area from Maine ca. 1847.  Thomas Cox is credited with being the first permanent settler of the vicinity.  In 1836 Cox laid claim to all of the land, including the island, on which the City of Wilmington now stands.  The entire Cox Family moved to Salem, Oregon in 1847. The area was also known as Cox Island.Wilmington
AndresPeotone RFDPeotone
Arbury HillsFrankfort
ArnonPost Office opened Dec. 13, 1848 and closed March 2, 1860
Baker Stationnamed for Clarke Baker who came from New York to Will Co. in 1850Manhattan
BallouRFD Wilmington; on Wabash RRWesley
Barber’s Cornersettled in 1832; name for John Barber; Post Office established Dec. 21, 1846; changed to DuPage April 16, 1856Dupage
Beebe’s GroveNow a part of Crete; named for Minoris Beebe, a pioneer settler arriving in Will Co. about 1834Crete
BeecherFounded 1872; Named after Henry Ward BeecherWashington
BelAirNow part of JolietJoliet
Bemes/BemisPost Office established Sept. 22, 1893; discontinued Jan. 31, 1907Crete
Bergan StationNamed for H. & D. Bergan; on Wabash RRManhattan
Beverly FarmFrankfort
Big Road SettlementAlong the State Road in Washington and Crete
Birds/Birds BridgeOn the Illinois & Michigan canal about 5 miles south of Joliet; named for a Mr. Bird who lived near the bridge; Post Office established in 1869; discontinued in 1905Troy
Blackstone GroveSettled in 1833; named for Judge John Blackstone; Hadley Post OfficeHomer
BlodgettNow a part of Joliet Arsenal land Post Office opened in 1898 & closed in 1905; Located in Wilmington???Channahon
BolingbrookDupage
Boulevard HeightsPart of JolietJoliet
BraidwoodOn the Chicago & Alton R.R.Reed
BrisbaneRFD New Lenox; located on Wabash RRNew Lenox
BrooklynPart of JolietJoliet
BucktownNow in Braidwood; settled about 1877Reed
Buena VistaPart of JolietJoliet
BuffaloPlatted and recorded June 1836 by Dr Isaiah M Treat in the northwest quarter in Section Two on the west bank of the river. [Source: Juliet and Joliet, 1904]Channahon
Butterfield’s FordOn Des Plaines River; used as a crossing by first settlers entering what is now Lockport and Homer; existed in early 1830’sLockport
Camp GoodellNear present day Ingalls park; established in 1861-62 as a Civil war training campJoliet
CanalPart of Homer and Lockport; named for the Illinois and Michigan canal
Caton FarmPost Office opened 1893; closed 1900Plainfield
Carlyle
ChannahonFirst known as Swifton1Channahon
ChelseaChanged to Frankfort Station; now Frankfort; Post Office opened 1838; first post master was L.M. ClayesFrankfort
Cherry HillNew Lenox
ClausChicago Heights RFDWashington
Coon GroveAlso known as Racoon Grove Indian reservationMonee
Cox IslandSee Alden’s Island
Cougar’s Crossings.
CoynesLockport???????Plainfield
Crest HillLockport
CreteCrete
Custer ParkPost Office opened Sept. 14, 1877; changed to Custer Park Sept. 15, 1885Custer
Des PlainesChannahon
DrummondChannahan
DupageWas Barber’s Corners in 1856; Fountaindale??; Post Office opened in July 26, 1833; closed on July 20, 1842; reopened on March 2, 1846 then closed on Aug 1, 1854.
DyerCrete
Eagle LakePost Office opened 1865 & closed 1902; Now Beecher RFDWashington
East JolietJoliet
East WheatlandWheatland
ElwoodJackson
EndorPost Office opened in June 30, 1837 & closed Nov. 18, 1856; reopened Oct. 11, 1861 & closed Nov. 15, 1901Crete
Essex
EurekaSettled about 1873Reed
Evergreen HeightsNow part of Joliet
Fair AcresNow part of JolietJoliet
FairmontLockport
FaithornCrete
Five-Mile Grove1Settled in 1832-33; original settlement now ManhattanManhattan
Forest ParkJoliet
Fort HigginbothamLocated east of JolietJoliet
Fort NonsenseNow part of Joliet; Fort Nonsense was established during the Black Hawk war scare in 1832Joliet
FountaindaleSee DuPage
Frankfort StationFrankfort
GaugersNew Lenox
GillettsNew Lenox
GodleyNear Will and Grundy Co. LineReed
GoodenowNamed for George Goodenow; was established in 1870Crete
Goodings GroveSettled in 1832 & named for Deacon James Gooding; Post Office opened in 1846 & closed in 1901Homer
GougarsNew Lenox
GrangePost Office opened in 1841 & closed in 1842
Gravel BankChannahon
Green GardenSettled about 1847 by M.F. Sanders and George M. Green; Vermont PrecinctGreen Garden
Green Garden Twp1Green Garden
GrintonSettled in 1845 and named for William Grinton; also called Grinton’s Mill & GrintonvilleTroy
HadleyPost Office opened in 1835; also known as Blackstone Grove; Hadley settled in 1833 and was named for Hadley, Mass.Homer
HamptonLocated near ElwoodWilmington
Hayden’sManhattan RFDFlorence
Hickory Creek SettlementSettled 1829-30; Early settlers were, James Brown, Aaron Friend, Wm. Rice, Wm. Gougar & John Grover.New Lenox
Hickory GroveNew Lenox
Hoddam
HomerHomer
Homewood
Horse CreekAlso Called Custer ParkCuster
IdylsideJoliet
Ingalls ParkNow part of Joliet; site of Camp GoodellJoliet
Intent
Jackson CreekFirst called Reed’s GroveJackson, Sec 31
Joliet TownshipJoliet
JudyWashington
Juliet/Joliet1Founded by Charles ReedJoliet
KeeversvilleLocated by Braidwood; coal mine shaft was sunk in Keeversville in 1865
KnappaLocated by Wilmington
Lake Juliet
Lakewood ShoresWesley
LewistownNow part of JolietJoliet
LidiceNow part of Crest Hill; first known as Stern Park; named Lidice for Lidic, CzechoslovakiaLockport
Lilly CachePlainfield
LincolnFrankfort
Lincolnwood HillsNew Lenox
LockportLockport
LoisWilton
Long John
LorenzoWilmington
Lunenberg
ManhattanManhattan
ManningdaleJoliet
Marble FallsJoliet
MarleyNew Lenox
Martins LandingPartly in DuPage & Lockport
MatherWilmington
McGlashensFrankfort
McKee’s TownNow part of JolietJoliet
Michigan BeachPart of JolietJoliet
MillboroNow part of JolietJoliet
MillsdaleChannahon
MokenaFrankfort
Momence
MoneeMonee
Monee Twp1Monee
NabenekanongSame as Twelve Mile Grove
New LenoxNew Lenox
NormantownPlainfield RFDWheatland
Nortonville
Oak HillNow part of JolietJoliet
PalmyraDeacon Brandon’s dream, in Section 20 – only a memory and vacated plat in the records [Source: Juliet and Joliet, 1904]Joliet?
ParksideNow part of JolietJoliet
PeotonePeotone
Peotone Twp1Peotone
PierceChanged to Wilton Center on Dec. 3, 1875Wilton
PlainfieldPlainfield
PlainesJoliet
PolkWashington
Prairie CreekWilmington
PritchieWesley
PuckervilleSame as Gooding’s GroveHomer
Quality HillNow part of CreteCrete
Rairdon’sNow part of RomeovilleDupage
Raynor ParkNow part of JolietJoliet
Reed’s GroveNamed for Charles Reed Family; Changed to Jackson Creek on May 23, 1844Jackson, Sec 31
ResthavenWesley
RidgewoodNow part of JolietJoliet
Ritchie/RitcheyNamed for early postmaster, John and Benjamin RitcheyWesley
RockdaleJoliet
Rock Run ParkTroy
Romeo/RomeovilleDupage
Runyon’s TownSettled by Armstead Runyon about 1830 near Lockport
Selfridgevillenamed for Lorenzo and Horatio Selfridge
Sherbourne
Shermanvillewas a quarry town where the sandstone was quarried just after the Chicago fire to build the Sherman House. The dump is overgrown with large trees, and only traces of the stone saw mill can be found. [Source: Juliet and Joliet, 1904]Channahon
ShorewoodName changed from TroyTroy
Sigel
South LockportLockport
SpencerVillage established in 1856New Lenox
Starr’s Grove1
SteeleNew Lenox
StegerCrete
Stern ParkSee LidiceLockport
StuenkelsMonee
SummitFrankfort
Swifton1/SniftonChanged to Channahon1Channahon
SymertonFlorence
TamarackWheatland
Thorn CreekEarly settlement in Crete area
ThorntonNow Green Garden
TokioWheatland
TorinoWas a coal mining townReed
TracyChanged to New Lenox in 1863New Lenox
Treat’s IslandSettled by Seymour TreatChannahon
TrentonEarly name for Green Garden
Trim Creek
Troutman’s GroveSettled in 1831-32 by Joseph McCune & John TroutmanChannahon
TroyTroy
TroyeTroy
Twelve Mile Grove1Now Wilton Center; also Na-be-ne-ka-nong
UnionOn border of New LenoxJoliet
University ParkMonee
Van Horne’s PointNamed for C. C. Van HorneNew Lenox
Vermont SettlementNamed by settlers arriving from their home state of Vermont in 1843Wheatland
ViennaPlatted and recorded in September 1835 by Dr Isaiah M Treat in Section Two. [Source: Juliet and Joliet, 1904]Channahon
WalkerNow known as Plainfield and was settled in 1829; named for the Rev. Jesse WalkerPlainfield
WallingfordWilton
Warner’s LandingWesley
Washington CenterWashington
Washington Twp1Washington
Welco CornersDupage
Will Twp1Will
WilmingtonWas Winchester1Wilmington
WiltonWilton
Wilton CenterWas PierceWilton
WinchesterNow WilmingtonWilmington
Wolf’s CrossingNamed for postmaster Leonard Wolf
Wood’s CornersNow CreteCrete
Yankee SettlementIncluded Homer, northern part of New Lenox, and eastern part of Lockport
Yellow Head GroveWas in Will Co before Kankakee County was established in June 11, 1856
Young HickoryNew Lenox
Zarley’sNamed for pioneer ZarleyJoliet

Information obtained from the following:

  • 1 – “History of Will County” by Wm. LeBaron, Jr & Co.,  1878
  • Forty Years Ago” by Geo. Woodruff, 1874
  • The Braidwood Story” by Modesto (M.J.) Donna
  • Will County Places Old and New” Will County Historical Society by Rose Bucciferro